Application Deadline: 10/12/2018
The Targeted therapeutics and nanodevices group led by Dr. Silvia Muro at the Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia (IBEC) is looking for Postdoctoral candidate to work on the design of nanocarriers to transport drugs to the brain. The contract will be framed around a funded Explora Ciencia / Tecnología project, which aims to investigate the biological mechanisms controlling transport into and across the blood-brain barrier (BBB) to then design polymeric nanovehicles with optimal properties for brain delivery of therapeutics in the context of neurodegenerative diseases.
Download PDF post Targeted therapeutics and nanodevices Postdoc Position-111518
Main tasks and responsibilities / The successful candidate will develop research involving:
• To actively assist and conduct research pertaining to the topic described above, i.e. fabricate polymeric nanocarriers, load them with (protein) therapeutics, target them to BBB receptors involved in transcytosis, and characterize the properties and performance of these systems in vitro, cell culture, and small animal models.
• Engage in collaborations, recording and reporting, as well as planning, writing and presenting publications and other scientific communications derived from the work.
• Participate in lab meetings and regular laboratory- or institutional-based activities, and contribute to common lab supporting tasks, e.g. ordering of reagents, equipment maintenance, training of new members, and general GL support.
Requirements for candidates:
• PhD in Pharmaceutical Sciences, Bioengineering, Chemical Engineering, Biomedicine, or related field. BSc, MSc, and PhD combination including solid knowledge in polymers, nanocolloids, PK/PD, and cell biology is a major asset.
• Previous experience in polymeric nanoparticles, targeting, protein therapeutics, cell cultures, BBB models, confocal microscopy, and/or animal PK/PD studies.
• Experience in managing orders, equipment and training lab personnel is preferred.
• Competencies and skills: Proactivity, Independence, Communication, Teamwork, Commitment, Collegiality, Integrity, Critical and Analytical thinking.
• Fluent in English
• Number of available positions: 1
• Starting date: 16/01/2019
• Working conditions:
o Full time 1-year contract with possibility to renewal. Very competitive salary.
o Measures to reconcile work and family life (maternity and paternity leave, flexible schedule working hours, teleworking, 23 working days of paid holidays, 9 leave days for personal matters, among others).
• A reputable research program, mentoring tailored to provide project support and increase the professional potential of the candidate; a highly diverse lab with opportunity to train with the Muro lab in the University of Maryland (USA) and to collaborate with additional academic, industrial and/or clinical partners.
• Professional development opportunities: IBEC has a Training catalogue in technical and transferable skills and organises seminars and PhD discussions. Mobility grants are offered. Mentoring programme for Postdoctoral researchers.
• Induction programme to facilitate incorporation at IBEC and additional support is provided for foreigners to obtain Visa-working permit and to install in Barcelona.
How to apply:
Interested applicants should send their CV, cover letter, two most representative articles, and contact info for two referees to: email@example.com before 10/12/2018 (Reference: PD-SMU).
Principles of the selection process:
IBEC is committed to the principles of the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers of the European Commission and the Open, Transparent and Merit based Recruitment principles. Thus, there are no restrictions of citizenship or gender and candidates with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Who we are?
The Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia, IBEC is an interdisciplinary research center focused on Bioengineering and Nanomedicine based in Barcelona. IBEC is one of the top research institutions named as a Severo Ochoa Research Centre by Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness (in charge of research and innovation policy in Spain), which recognizes excellence at the highest international level in terms of research, training, human resources, outreach and technology transfer.
IBEC’s mission is to develop international high-quality interdisciplinary research that, while creating knowledge, contributes to making a better quality of life, improving health and creating wealth. A close link with key universities, reference hospitals and corporations, are assets that facilitate achieving the mission.
IBEC was established in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Autonomous Government of Catalonia), the University of Barcelona (UB) and the Technical University of Catalonia (UPC).
IBEC is located within the Barcelona Science Park and is managing 3.800 square meters facilities, 21 research groups and a team of researchers and support services of 300 people from 30 different countries. www.ibecbarcelona.eu