IBEC is a research centre whose purpose is to carry out interdisciplinary research at the highest international quality level which, by creating knowledge, helps to improve health and quality of life and generate wealth.
Beneficiaries of the Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia include the universities, research centres, the scientific community, the business sector that drives research in the bioengineering field, and society in general.
Engineering solutions for health
Our mission is achieved by carrying out the following five objectives:
1. Basic and interdisciplinary research in bioengineering and nanomedicine at the highest international level
To achieve these objectives, the institute aims to work in everything from the most basic research in areas currently associated with nanotechnology applied to medicine, to the most technological applications aimed at diagnosis or robotic and minimally invasive surgery, among others.
Specifically, IBEC has the following specific tasks, among others:
- To drive frontier research at the highest international level, through joint, cooperative organisation to carry on this activity, stimulating relations between its own researchers and those at other institutions throughout the world.
- To foster multidisciplinary research, in order to build up sufficient critical mass devoted to research in the broad spectrum of science and technology that come together in bioengineering, to make possible sufficient transfer of knowledge and application between researchers and business sectors.
- To drive teaching and transfer of knowledge, techniques and technology in disciplines involved in bioengineering, through an academic programme which allows fundamental aspects to be balanced with their technological applications.
- To foster the raising of funds for research by accumulating own resources, subsidies, awards, assistance and donations given both by public institutions and by private individuals or organisations.
- To establish cooperation between the foundation and healthcare institutions and industry with the aim of fostering competitiveness in this sector, encouraging innovation and training in emerging areas of bioengineering.
- To reach out to local and international venture capital funds and companies in order to encourage the setting up and promotion of spin-off businesses by researchers and students at the institute.
- To organise national and international scientific meetings, offering the scientific community specialist services and products.
- To contribute through research to progress in technology and innovation and to enhancing the welfare of society and people in Catalonia.
- All other tasks which help to foster bioengineering research and the achievement of the aims for which it was set up.