IBEC is looking for candidates to apply for master fellowships under its Master Programme for 2020.
IBEC has launched its Master Programme to encourage students to begin a research career in our multidisciplinary research institute. The fellows will carry out research in one of IBEC’s research groups in Barcelona. The Master Programme offers a research experience under University agreement.
The IBEC Master Programme offers 4 six-month fellowships granted with a monthly stipend of 450€ gross from January 15th to perform their Master thesis at IBEC. The minimum dedication is 20h/week.
IBEC will provide students with additional complementary training opportunities.
Download complete information about the programme here.
Researcher career path at a glance: Spain (click image to download)
A visual guide to the different career stages for researchers in Spain and the public and private grants that can be applied for at each stage to work in the public sector or industry. The document includes links to the programme calls where further information can be found. (Published by MINECO’s Spanish Foundation for Science and Technology (FECYT).)
IBEC Master Programme: General requirements for all candidates (eligibility criteria)
- Candidates must have obtained a university degree or must hold an official university qualification from a country in the European Higher Education Area from 180 to 240 ECTS of official university studies at the time of deadline (5th November 2019).
- Candidates must have an average final BSc mark of at least 7.9/10 (Spanish system) in engineering and experimental sciences (physics, chemistry, etc.) or at least 8.3/10 in life sciences.
- Candidates should be admitted into an official master programme of a Catalan university by December 31st 2019. Exceptions for non-local universities may occur if the study plan and university guidelines allow him/her to do an internship according to the requirements of this call. These situations will be addressed on a case-by-case basis.
- Candidates must have a strong commitment to scientific research and an excellent academic record.
- Candidates must have a good working knowledge of English.
- Candidates are eligible for a period of 2 years following the end of their bachelor degree at the time of deadline (5th November 2019).
- Highly motivated and willingness to be a team player in an international multidisciplinary group.
- Mobility experience or participation in research will be considered as a valuable contribution.
- Candidates cannot be awarded another Master fellowship
Application process and selection criteria
The research groups of IBEC’s Associated Researchers are also eligible as long as the master thesis is co-supervised by an IBEC group leader.
IBEC group leaders will be asked to support the candidatures interested in his/her groups, so before applying please contact the IBEC Group Leaders or Associated Researchers to get more information about the groups and projects. The 5 fellowships will be assigned to the best candidates after the evaluation process, with the only limitation being only one fellow per research group.
You will be required to provide the following information in the online application tool:
- Personal data.
- Cover letter, including motivation for applying.
- A soft copy of your Certified Academic Record, showing grades obtained (degree). If these are not in Catalan, Spanish or English, applicants should attach a translation in one of these languages.1
- Education: For a BSc obtained in non-Spanish universities, to standardize the final marks in your application form, you will need to submit your educational certificate using the relation of scales of foreign grades to the equivalent Spanish grades provided by the General Secretariat of Universities of the Spanish Ministry of Education, Culture and Sport (instructions and template included in the application form).
- Your selection of up to 2 IBEC or Associated Researchers’s groups with which you would like to be affiliated, in order of priority.
- The title and university of the master programme in which you wish to enrol.
- Mobility and research experience.
The registration form must be submitted before the deadline of 5th November 2019.
1 For enrolment in a university master programme, the universities will only accept an official translation of educational certificates.
2 We strongly suggest that you complete first the ‘general info’ and ‘reference’ part of the online application, in order to give your referee enough time to complete their part. It is your responsibility to ensure that the reference is received through the online application tool by the deadline of 11th October 2018.
In 2015, IBEC was awarded the ‘Human Resources Excellence in Research’ seal from the European Commission, in recognition of its commitment to continuously improving its HR policies in line with The European Charter of Researchers and The Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers.
In line with this recognition, IBEC has set up an open, transparent, equal-opportunities and merit-based recruitment procedure to select the most qualified candidates. The selection procedure is governed by the following principles:
- Transparency throughout the whole process.
- Equal opportunities in the selection and hiring of personnel.
- Non-discrimination on grounds of sex, age, ethnic, national or social origin, religion, sexual orientation, language, disability, political opinions or social and economic condition.
- Confidentiality as the cornerstone of the selection process.
- Principle of public dissemination of the selection processes, which must also be internationally comparable.
- Merit-based evaluation
- Efficiency and effectiveness according to the methodology and agreed terms
- Selection processes adapted to the job announcement
- Compliance with the policy as a key element in achieving the objectives of the process
- In line with our Values and Strategic Plan
Please feel free to contact our group leaders. They will be happy to answer your questions.
|Group: Nanoscopy for nanomedicine
Group leader: Lorenzo Albertazzi (firstname.lastname@example.org)
|Group: Molecular Bionics
Group leader: Giuseppe Battaglia (email@example.com)
|Group: Protein phase transitions in health and disease
Group leader: Benedetta Bolognesi (firstname.lastname@example.org)
|Group: Mechanics of development and disease
Group leader: Vito Conte (email@example.com)
|Group: Biomaterials for regenerative therapies
Group leader: Elisabeth Engel (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Group leader: Xavier Fernández Busquets (email@example.com)
|Group: Nanoscale bioelectrical characterization
Group leader: Gabriel Gomila (firstname.lastname@example.org)
|Group: Nanoprobes and nanoswitches
Group leader: Pau Gorostiza (email@example.com)
|Group: Biomedical signal processing and interpretation
Group leader: Raimón Jané (firstname.lastname@example.org)
|Group: Signal and information processing for sensing systems
Group leader: Santi Marco (email@example.com)
|Group: Biomimetic systems for cell engineering
Group leader: Elena Martínez (firstname.lastname@example.org)
|Group: iPSCs and activation of endogenous tissue programs for organ regeneration
Group leader: Núria Montserrat (email@example.com)
|Group: Targeted therapeutics and nanodevices
Group leader: Silvia Muro (firstname.lastname@example.org)
|Group: Cellular and respiratory biomechanics
Group leader: Daniel Navajas (email@example.com)
|Group: Biosensors for bioengineering
Group leader: Javier Ramón (firstname.lastname@example.org)
|Group: Molecular and cellular neurobiotechnology
Group leader: José Antonio del Rio (email@example.com)
|Group: Cellular and molecular mechanobiology
Group leader: Pere Roca-Cusachs (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Group leader: Josep Samitier (email@example.com)
|Group: Smart nano-bio-devices
Group leader: Samuel Sánchez (firstname.lastname@example.org)
|Group: Bacterial infections: antimicrobial therapies
Group leader: Eduard Torrents (email@example.com)
|Group: Integrative cell and tissue dynamics
Group leader: Xavier Trepat (firstname.lastname@example.org)
|Group: Synthetic perceptive, emotive and cognitive systems
Group leader: Paul Verschure (email@example.com)
- From 15th October to 5th November 2019, an online application form will be available here. In your application, you will be able to choose up to two research groups you would be willing to join.
- From 6 November 2019 to 12 November 2019, applications will be eligibility checked by Human Resources.
- From 13 November 2019 to 26 November 2019, applications will be reviewed by a selection committee composed of IBEC group leaders and administration staff.
- From 27 November 2019 to 29 November 2019, offers will be made to the successful candidates.
- IBEC Master fellows should take up their positions on January 2020.
Training activities for masters students
IBEC’s training programme offers various courses aimed at masters students in order to provide the necessary tools to develop the basic skills and competences needed to start your research career. Courses include oral and writing skills in English, workshops about specific scientific tools and programs or workshops about good laboratory practices.
Results of the 2018 call
The following four candidates were granted a fellowship in the 2018 call:
Raquel Alonso Román – Biomimetic Systems for Cell Engineering
Domingo Marchan del Pino – Bacterial Infections: Antimicrobial Therapies
Elena Laplaza Huesa – Pluripotency for organ regeneration
Jaume Bagué Companys – Biomaterials for Regenerative Therapies
Results of the 2017 call
The following ten candidates were granted a fellowship in the 2017 call:
Marina Pavlova · Cellular and molecular mechanobiology group
Ignasi Granero Moya · Cellular and molecular mechanobiology group
Júlia Sala i Jarque · Molecular and cellular neurobiotechnology group
Luis Galán Palma · Pluripotent stem cells and activation of endogenous tissue programs for organ regeneration group
Neus Sanfeliu Cerdán · Bacterial infections: antimicrobial therapies group
Carlos Prieto Ramón · Biomedical signal processing and interpretation group
Jorge Verdú Añón · Synthetic, Perceptive, Emotive and Cognitive Systems group (SPECS)
Sergio Galve Ceamanos · Alicia Casals (Associate researcher)
Get in touch with us