IBEC seeks a Head of Communications and Public Relations. The successful candidate will be responsible for designing, developing and executing an overall strategy to enhance and project IBEC’s international reputation as a world-class center of excellence in bioengineering, advanced training, innovation and public engagement.
The Head of Communications and PR runs a team of 3 people and reports to the Managing Director and is part of the Institute’s senior management team.
The successful candidate will provide leadership to the areas of:
• Communications and public relations
• Engagement and science education
• Alumni relations
Main tasks and responsibilities:
- Work proactively with IBEC Management to develop integrated communications strategies in support of IBEC’s mission and vision.
- Plan, develop, organize, implement, monitor and evaluate the communications and public relations, engagement and science education, alumni relations and fundraising functions at the Institute.
- Identify, build and nurture relationships between the company and different audiences in order to project IBEC and earn recognition as one of the world’s leading research centers in bioengineering to improve health.
- Provide vision, leadership, and support for internal and external communications activities ensuring products and services are delivered to the highest standard and levels of creativity.
- Special emphasis will be given on: press and media relations, digital and social communications.
- In addition: print and online publications, branding, crisis communication, conference and event organization, editorial support, visual identity guidelines and internal communications.
- Oversee public engagement and science education activities, fostering interactions with students, teachers and the general public through initiatives based on IBEC science and the strategic priorities of the Institute.
- Boost alumni relations activities and initiatives, promoting engagement among the extended IBEC community of current and former researchers and staff.
- Support IBEC’s Management for fundraising activities and donor relations, including major donor strategies, legacies, campaigns, regular giving and stewardship.
Requirements for candidates:
- University degree. A postgraduate or master’s degree will be advantageous.
- Over 6 years of communications, public relations, engagement and science education and fundraising or similar experience, ideally in a setting like IBEC.
- At least 3 years of experience in a position of leadership
- A proven track record of creative leadership in the development of communication plans in collaboration with a range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Demonstrated experience in communications and public relations, with a good sense of the changing landscapes and latest trends in these areas.
- Solid understanding of, or interest in, science.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- A strong foundation in core communications skills such as press and media relations, web development, print and outline publications, social media strategy, internal communications branding, crisis communication, event organization and public engagement.
- Ability to effectively engage and interface with a wide range of interlocutors, including senior management as well as scientists, staff and students in an international and intercultural environment.
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills in English. Knowledge of Catalan and Spanish.
- Proactivity, commitment, integrity, creativity, people management and result oriented.
Working conditions and entitlements:
- Working conditions:
- Full-time permanent contract. Salary will be commensurate with academic level and experience.
- Measures to reconcile work and family life (maternity and paternity leave, flexible schedule working hours, teleworking, 23 working days of paid holidays, 9 leave days for personal matters, among others).
- IBEC ensures equality of access to professional development opportunities irrespective of employment status, length at IBEC or other factors. The IBEC’s yearly training catalogue offers a wide range of training in technical and transferable skills.
- Stimulating, interdisciplinary research and high-quality international scientific environment.
- Induction programme to facilitate incorporation at IBEC and additional support is provided for foreigners to obtain Visa-working permit and to install in Barcelona.
How to apply:
Interested applicants should send their CV, motivation letter by e-mail to: email@example.com (Reference: COM-DB).
- Deadline for applications: 14/02/2019
- Number of available positions: 1
- Starting date: March 2019
Principles of the Selection Process:
Our Recruitment and Selection Policy is based on the OTM Strategy (Open, Transparent and Merit-based recruitment) www.ibecbarcelona.eu/jobs/ and accept applications without distinction on any grounds. Candidates with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. Our commitment to OTM-R principles can also be found in our Gender and Diversity plan.
Protection of personal data:
IBEC ensures that applicants’ personal data are processed as required by EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and Spanish Law 3/2018 on Data Protection.
Personal data shall thus be processed solely for the purpose of the selection procedure.
Who we are?
The Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia, IBEC is an interdisciplinary research center focused on Bioengineering and Nanomedicine based in Barcelona. IBEC is one of the top research institutions named as a Severo Ochoa Research Centre by Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness (in charge of research and innovation policy in Spain), which recognizes excellence at the highest international level in terms of research, training, human resources, outreach and technology transfer.
IBEC’s mission is to develop international high-quality interdisciplinary research that, while creating knowledge, contributes to making a better quality of life, improving health and creating wealth. A close link with key universities, reference hospitals and corporations, are assets that facilitate achieving the mission.
IBEC was established in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Autonomous Government of Catalonia), the University of Barcelona (UB) and the Technical University of Catalonia (UPC). IBEC is located within the Barcelona Science Park and is managing an annual budget of 12M€ and 3.800 square meters facilities, 21 research groups and a team of researchers and support services of 300 people from 30 different countries. www.ibecbarcelona.eu