Application Deadline: 24/01/2019
The Biomaterials for Regenerative Therapies group at the Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia (IBEC) is looking for a Postdoc position to develop his/her project on the development of a physiological in vitro model of the small intestine to study microbiome-epithelial interactions.
The contract will be within the framework of the project “Engineering complex models of intestinal epithelium”, whose objective is the development of tissue-like models of intestinal tissue that can be used in basic research, disease modelling, host-pathogen interaction studies, and regenerative medicine.
Main tasks and responsibilities / The successful candidate will develop research involving:
- Cell culture and characterization of intestinal epithelial cells
- Microfabrication of 3D hydrogel scaffolds with the villi architecture of the small intestinal tissue. Cell culture and characterization on the scaffolds.
- Testing drug absorption on the developed models.
- Testing microbiome-epithelial interactions on the developed models.
Requirements for candidates:
- BSc on Chemistry, Biology, Pharmacy and PhD related to those disciplines.
- Experience in cell culture of intestinal cells, microfabrication, cell immunostaning, TEER and permeability measurements, microscopy and air-liquid interface cell culture is desirable.
- High motivation and ability to be involved in an international multidisciplinary team
- Competencies and skills: Communication, Teamwork, Proactivity, Commitment, Collegiality, Integrity, Critical and Analytical thinking
- High level of English
- Number of available positions: 1
- Starting date: February 1st 2019
- Working conditions:
- Full time temporal contract. Very competitive salary.
- Measures to reconcile work and family life (maternity and paternity leave, flexible schedule working hours, teleworking, 23 working days of paid holidays, 9 leave days for personal matters, among others).
- Professional development opportunities: IBEC has a Training catalogue in technical and transferable skills and organises seminars and PhD discussions. Mobility grants are offered. Mentoring programme for Postdoctoral researchers.
- Stimulating, interdisciplinary research and high-quality international scientific environment
How to apply:
Interested applicants should send their CV, cover letter and the contact of two referees to: email@example.com before 24/01/2019 (Reference: PD-EMM).
Principles of the selection process:
IBEC is committed to the principles of the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers of the European Commission and the OTM-R principles. Thus, there are no restrictions of citizenship or gender and candidates with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Who we are?
The Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia, IBEC is an interdisciplinary research center focused on Bioengineering and Nanomedicine based in Barcelona. IBEC is one of the top research institutions named as a Severo Ochoa Research Centre by Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness (in charge of research and innovation policy in Spain), which recognizes excellence at the highest international level in terms of research, training, human resources, outreach and technology transfer.
IBEC’s mission is to develop international high-quality interdisciplinary research that, while creating knowledge, contributes to making a better quality of life, improving health and creating wealth. A close link with key universities, reference hospitals and corporations, are assets that facilitate achieving the mission.
IBEC was established in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Autonomous Government of Catalonia), the University of Barcelona (UB) and the Technical University of Catalonia (UPC).
IBEC is located within the Barcelona Science Park and is managing 3.800 square meters facilities, 21 research groups and a team of researchers and support services of 300 people from 30 different countries. www.ibecbarcelona.eu