Application Deadline: 22/06/2016
The Biomimetic systems for cell engineering group at the Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia (IBEC) is looking for a Postdoctoral Researcher to participate in the development of the project “Engineering Complex Intestinal Epithelial Tissue Models” (ERC-Consolidator Grant). The goal of this project is to engineer intestinal epithelial tissue models that mimic physiological characteristics found in in vivo human intestinal tissue, to open up new areas of research on human intestinal diseases. To do this, we propose to develop an experimental setup that combines microfabrication techniques, tissue engineering components and recent advances in intestinal stem cell research, exploiting stem cell self-organizing characteristics. We anticipate this setup to recapitulate the 3D morphology, the spatio-chemical gradients and the dynamic microenvironment of the living tissue. We expect the new device to prove useful in understanding cell physiology, adult stem cell behavior, and organ development as well as in modelling human intestinal diseases.
Tasks and responsibilities:
– Intestinal stem cell culture on biomaterials.
– Assessment of cell differentiation and epithelial characteristics.
Requirements for candidates:
– PhD in Chemistry or Material Science.
– Previous experience in stem cell culture and characterization will be a value.
– High level of English.
– Self-critical, capacity to learn and bring knowledge.
– High motivation and ability to be involved in an international multidisciplinary team.
– Excellent team working and communication skills.
– Three year contract.
– Stimulating, interdisciplinary research and high quality international scientific environment.
– Salary will be determined upon experience and scientific background.
IBEC is committed to the principles of the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of researchers of the European Commission. Thus, there are no restrictions of citizenship or gender and candidates with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Interested applicants should send their CV, cover letter and references to: firstname.lastname@example.org, before 22/06/2016 (Reference: BS-EM).