Application Deadline: 31/01/2019
The Bioengineering in reproductive health group at the Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia (IBEC) is looking for a Postdoctoral researcher with strong imaging skills to carry out a project on hyperspectral microscopy using mammalian embryos. The contract will be within the framework of the Open Lab initiative and has strong potential to derive in a spin off venture.
Introduction to the vacant position:
The project is within the Open Lab initiative funded by a private investor. In our lab we carry out basic research with a strong translational potential, including a close collaboration with hospitals. The project will likely derive in the generation of new patents and a spin off biotech company. Committed candidates will be exposed to both academic science and also the entrepreneurship process since its inception.
Main tasks and responsibilities / The successful candidate will develop research involving:
- Hyperspectral Imaging o mouse and human embryos using commercial microscopes (Zeiss)
- Image analysis using custom algorithms.
- To build a custom epifluorescence hyperspectral microscope based on commercial modules.
- Mentor other members of the lab in advanced imaging methods.
Requirements for candidates:
- Advanced imaging skills using confocal microscopes
- Multidisciplinary qualifications (Physics/Math’s, Physics/Engineering, etc.) applied to a biology lab
- Basic skills to customize microscopes (filters, objectives, laser alignment etc.)
- Code writing (not necessary but highly valuable).
- Competencies and skills: Communication, Teamwork, Proactivity, Commitment, Collegiality, Integrity, Critical and Analytical thinking
- Excellence level of English
- Number of available positions: 1
- Starting date: February 2019
- Working conditions:
- Full time 3-year contract. Salary will be commensurate with academic level and experience.
- Measures to reconcile work and family life (maternity and paternity leave, flexible schedule working hours, teleworking, 23 working days of paid holidays, 9 leave days for personal matters, among others).
- Mobility grants for first stage researchers, as well as a Mentoring programme for Postdoctoral researchers are offered
How to apply:
Interested applicants should send their CV, cover letter and the contact of two referees to: email@example.com before 28/02/2019 (Reference: PD-SO).
Principles of the selection process:
IBEC is committed to the principles of the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers of the European Commission and the Open, Transparent and Merit based Recruitment principles. Thus, there are no restrictions of citizenship or gender and candidates with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
IBEC aims for a representative gender balance at all levels of staff, so we strongly encourage women to apply. At least 40% of shortlisted applicants invited to interview will be women.
Protection of personal data:
IBEC ensures that applicants’ personal data are processed as required by EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and Spanish Law 3/2018 on Data Protection.
Personal data shall thus be processed solely for the purpose of the selection procedure.
Who we are?
The Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia, IBEC is an interdisciplinary research center focused on Bioengineering and Nanomedicine based in Barcelona. IBEC is one of the top research institutions named as a Severo Ochoa Research Centre by Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness (in charge of research and innovation policy in Spain), which recognizes excellence at the highest international level in terms of research, training, human resources, outreach and technology transfer.
IBEC’s mission is to develop international high-quality interdisciplinary research that, while creating knowledge, contributes to making a better quality of life, improving health and creating wealth. A close link with key universities, reference hospitals and corporations, are assets that facilitate achieving the mission.
IBEC was established in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Autonomous Government of Catalonia), the University of Barcelona (UB) and the Technical University of Catalonia (UPC).
IBEC is located within the Barcelona Science Park and is managing 3.800 square meters facilities, 21 research groups and a team of researchers and support services of 300 people from 30 different countries. www.ibecbarcelona.eu