Application Deadline: 10/12/2019
The IMEM Group at the Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia (IBEC) is looking for a Postdoctoral Researcher with broad experience in (Bio)Materials, Nanotechnology and Polymers/Biopolymers to develop a project on the development of (bio)polymeric materials for biomedical applications. The contract will be within the framework of IMEM-BRT research lines, whose objective is the development of new materials for regenerative therapies.
Specifically, the project involves the study of hydrogels as versatile platforms for specific (bio)applications using new chemistries, cell-friendly polymers (biopolymers and degradable synthetic polymers) and advanced manufacturing technologies. The research will involve three different areas that derive from the function, features, and source of hydrogels and, consequently, will require a wide range of skills (as per below).
Main tasks and responsibilities / The successful candidate will develop research involving:
- Functionalization, purification, and characterization of synthetic polymers and biopolymers with chemical groups to induce click-chemistry reactions.
- Electrochemical synthesis and characterization of conducting polymers to be included in hydrogel-based formulations.
- Preparation, characterization and application of hydrogel-based materials for different applications, e. bioinks, sustainable highly stretchable supercapacitor devices, among others.
- Synthesis and (bio)characterization of new gelators to expand the library of available hydrogels.
- Conduct a wide range of material characterization techniques (listed below).
- Bioengineering methods for 3D cell culture
- Confocal imaging (advanced level).
- In addition to initiate, undertake and direct original research based on the above mentioned tasks, the candidate will also:
- Support and lead research within the group to solve problems, collaborate and innovate in scientific directions for the group.
- Write papers and publish results of own research for publication in peer reviewed scientific journals and draft grant proposals.
- Attend national and international conferences giving oral presentations.
- Supervise and examine masters and PhD students on research related work.
- Develop and make substantial contributions to outreach/public engagement activities and teaching.
Requirements for candidates:
- Master and higher degree (normally PhD) relevant to the research area (e. Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or Polymer Science).
- Multidisciplinary experience (Engineering/Polymers/Chemistry) and knowledge on Nanotechnology: proven experience in polymer synthesis and functionalization, polymer and materials characterization, hydrogels, conducting polymers, and in vitro cell biology.
- Extensive research experience and scholarship within subject specialism.
- Extensive experience and demonstrated success in planning, undertaking and project managing research to deliver high quality results.
- High-level analytical capability and broad experience in use of characterization of polymers and materials by a range of techniques, including NMR, IR, chromatography, DSC, TGA, DMA, Mechanical testing, Rheometry, electrochemical techniques, electrical impedance spectroscopy, AFM, SEM and cryo-SEM.
- Interest in interdisciplinary research and willingness to learn new techniques, and proven supervision masters and PhD students.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills including the ability to work effectively in a multi-disciplinary project area of research: teamwork, commitment, proactivity, collegiality, integrity, critical and analytical thinking.
- Proven ability to write and give presentations to both national and international audience standard and communicate complex information clearly.
- Excellent writing skills and record of success in published papers.
- Extensive experience and achievement in public engagement and outreach or similar activities.
- High level of English, both oral and written.
- International research experience of more than 2 years will be positively evaluated.
- Number of available positions: 1
- Starting date: 16-01-2020
- Working conditions:
- Full time 3-year contract. Very competitive salary.
- Measures to reconcile work and family life (maternity and paternity leave, flexible schedule working hours, teleworking, 23 working days of paid holidays, 9 leave days for personal matters, among others).
- Professional development opportunities: IBEC has a Training catalogue in technical and transferable skills and organises seminars and PhD discussions. Mobility grants are offered. Mentoring programme for Postdoctoral researchers.
- Induction programme to facilitate incorporation at IBEC and additional support is provided for foreigners to obtain Visa-working permit and to install in Barcelona.
How to apply:
Interested applicants should send their CV, cover letter and the contact of two referees to: firstname.lastname@example.org before 10/12/2019 (Reference: PD-CA).
Principles of the selection process:
IBEC is committed to the principles of the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers of the European Commission and the Open, Transparent and Merit based Recruitment principles. Thus, there are no restrictions of citizenship or gender and candidates with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Who we are?
The Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia, IBEC is an interdisciplinary research center focused on Bioengineering and Nanomedicine based in Barcelona. IBEC is one of the top research institutions named as a Severo Ochoa Research Centre by Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness (in charge of research and innovation policy in Spain), which recognizes excellence at the highest international level in terms of research, training, human resources, outreach and technology transfer.
IBEC’s mission is to develop international high-quality interdisciplinary research that, while creating knowledge, contributes to making a better quality of life, improving health and creating wealth. A close link with key universities, reference hospitals and corporations, are assets that facilitate achieving the mission.
IBEC was established in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Autonomous Government of Catalonia), the University of Barcelona (UB) and the Technical University of Catalonia (UPC).
IBEC is located within the Barcelona Science Park and is managing 3.800 square meters facilities, 21 research groups and a team of researchers and support services of 300 people from 30 different countries. www.ibecbarcelona.eu