Application Deadline: 15/12/2019
The Nanobioengineering> group at the Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia (IBEC) is looking for a Predoctoral researcher.
We offer an interesting and challenging job in an international and interdisciplinary environment. We encourage suitably qualified candidates to apply for a position funded by the Marie Skłodowska-Curie project “EVIDENCE” within the Horizon 2020 programme of the European Union, starting on January 2020. The appointment will be on a temporary basis for a maximum period of 3 years (PhD student) and will be placed at the Nanobioengineering group of IBEC (Barcelona, Spain).
EVIDENCE is a four-year project, funded by the European Union Horizon 2020 Programme (MSCA-ITN-2019) under the Marie Skłodowska-Curie Initial Training Network and Grant Agreement No. 860436. EVIDENCE is the exploration of the properties and behaviour of RBCs under flow conditions and in vivo to understand pathophysiology and to design novel diagnostic devices. EVIDENCE engaged in with the ambition to educate and train students within and across different scientific disciplines: biophysics (electrophysiology), biochemistry (membrane biology, metabolism), biomedical science (e.g., expansion and differentiation of erythroblasts), bioengineering and cell biology (organ on a chip), clinical research and diagnostics, with SME.
The successful candidate will develop research involving:
The intended PhD student will be a member of a multi-disciplinary team and will be responsible for the development of an organ on a chip device. Three principal objectives are defined:
- Design and fabricate a functional microfluidic platform for creating 3D in vitro model of spleen (spleen-on-chip)
- Use the platform for a better understanding of spleen filtration function.
- Use the in-vitro platform for evaluation of RBC’s mechanical properties (healthy / disease) and for modelling hereditary Rare Anaemias progression.
Main tasks and responsibilities:
The candidate will have to accomplish the following tasks:
- Spend external stays at Lyfjos (CH); Stichting Sanquin Bloedvoorziening (NL); Universitat des Saarlandes (DE).
- Participate in training events for researchers and Principal Investigators involved in the program.
- Report to the Project Manager which includes contributing to periodic scientific reports.
- Contributing to the reporting of project milestones and deliverables in accordance with EU deadlines.
- Promote and disseminate results involved in the program, which includes contributing to newsletters and participating in outreach events.
- Willingness and ability to collaborate in a multidisciplinary team.
Requirements for candidates:
Candidates should have a master’s degree in Biomedical Sciences, Bioengineering (or a similar degree) with background knowledge in Red Blood Cells separation.
Relevant scientific background, including one but preferably several of the following:
- Experience with cell cultures and immunostaining methods.
- Experience in fabrication techniques for microfabrication.
- Experience in blood sample handling.
- Less than 4 years full time equivalent research experience and not yet been awarded a doctoral degree (PhD)
- Resided less than 12 months in SPAIN in the 3 years prior to selection
- Excellent communication and organisation skills
- Fluent in spoken and written English
- Excellent writing and presentation skills
- Flexibility and ability to work in a team environment
- Availability to travel nationally and internationally two to three times a year
- Number of available positions: 1
- Starting date: March 2020 / From 1st March to 1st September 2019
- Working conditions:
- Full/Part time 3-year contract. Very competitive salary/ Salary will be commensurate with academic level and experience.
- Measures to reconcile work and family life (maternity and paternity leave, flexible schedule working hours, teleworking, 23 working days of paid holidays, 9 leave days for personal matters, among others).
- IBEC ensures equality of access to professional development opportunities irrespective of employment status, length at IBEC or other factors. The IBEC’s yearly training catalogue offers a wide range of training in technical and transferable skills. Mobility grants for first stage researchers, as well as a Mentoring programme for Postdoctoral researchers are offered.
- Stimulating, interdisciplinary research and high-quality international scientific environment.
- Induction programme to facilitate incorporation at IBEC and additional support is provided for foreigners to obtain Visa-working permit and to install in Barcelona.
Approval and Enrollment: The scholarships for the PhD degree are subject to academic approval and the candidates will be enrolled in one of the general degree programmes of University of Barcelona.
Salary and appointment terms: The salary will be in line with the European Commission rules for Marie Skłodowska-Curie grant holders (Early-Stage Researchers, European Training Network).
http://ec.europa.eu/research/mariecurieactions/index.htm. The period of employment is 3 years.
Workplace: The main work will be conducted at the Laboratory of Nanobioengineering group of IBEC (Barcelona, Spain) but it also includes mandatory 6 months of external research stays at different partner places described above.
How to apply:
Interested applicants should send their application to: email@example.com before 15/12/2019 (Reference: PhD_JS).
The file must include:
- A motivation letter describing your research career goals, skills and experience (cover letter)
- Curriculum vitae
- Grade transcripts and BSc/MSc diploma (in Spanish/English or with a translation into English)
- Two recommendation letters.
Principles of the Selection Process:
Our Recruitment and Selection Policy is based on the OTM Strategy (Open, Transparent and Merit-based recruitment) www.ibecbarcelona.eu/jobs/ and accept applications without distinction on any grounds. Candidates with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. Our commitment to OTM-R principles can also be found in our Gender and Diversity plan.
Protection of personal data:
IBEC ensures that applicants’ personal data are processed as required by EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and Spanish Law 3/2018 on Data Protection.
Personal data shall thus be processed solely for the purpose of the selection procedure.
Who we are?
The Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia, IBEC is an interdisciplinary research center focused on Bioengineering and Nanomedicine based in Barcelona. IBEC is one of the top research institutions named as a Severo Ochoa Research Centre by Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness (in charge of research and innovation policy in Spain), which recognizes excellence at the highest international level in terms of research, training, human resources, outreach and technology transfer.
IBEC’s mission is to develop international high-quality interdisciplinary research that, while creating knowledge, contributes to making a better quality of life, improving health and creating wealth. A close link with key universities, reference hospitals and corporations, are assets that facilitate achieving the mission.
IBEC was established in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Autonomous Government of Catalonia), the University of Barcelona (UB) and the Technical University of Catalonia (UPC).
IBEC is located within the Barcelona Science Park and is managing 3.800 square meters facilities, 21 research groups and a team of researchers and support services of 300 people from 30 different countries. www.ibecbarcelona.eu