Application Deadline: 28/02/2019
The Biomaterials for Regenerative Therapies group at the Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia (IBEC) is looking for a PhD to develop his/her PhD thesis project on 3D bioprinted scaffolds for bone regeneration. Research in the Biomaterials for Regenerative Therapies group is devoted to the development and knowledge transfer to industry of innovative biomaterials and scaffolds for tissue regeneration.
Main tasks and responsibilities / The successful candidate will develop research involving:
• Synthesis and characterization of 3D bioprinted scaffolds involving composites hydrogel-hydroxyapatite-based bioinks
• designing and executing the in vitro and quasi-in vivo experimental procedures regarding the projects of the group:
o Involving materials characterization of the structure and degradation
o involving application of the proper signaling and monitorization of adhesion, proliferation, differentiation and Extracellular Matrix remodeling
o Involving chick embryo chorioallantoic membrane (CAM) assays for angiogenesis evaluation
Requirements for candidates:
• BSc on nanotechnology, bioengineering, biotechnology or related
• Experience in biomaterials synthesis and biological characterization.
• 3D printing and bioprinting will be highly valuable.
• High motivation and ability to be involved in an international multidisciplinary team
• Competencies and skills: Communication, Teamwork, Proactivity, Commitment, Collegiality, Integrity, Critical and Analytical thinking
• High level of English
Candidates should be ready to enter an official doctoral programme (under Spanish Law). By this time, they must have obtained a university degree and a master’s degree; or must hold an official university qualification from a country of the European Higher Education Area with a minimum of 300 ECTS of official university studies, of which at least 60 are at master’s level.
• Number of available positions: 1
• Starting date: March 1st, 2019
• Working conditions:
o Full time temporal contract. Very competitive salary
o Measures to reconcile work and family life (maternity and paternity leave, flexible schedule working hours, teleworking, 23 working days of paid holidays, 9 leave days for personal matters, among others)
• Professional development opportunities: IBEC has a Training catalogue in technical and transferable skills and organises seminars and PhD discussions. Mobility grants are offered. Mentoring programme for Postdoctoral researchers
• Stimulating, interdisciplinary research and high-quality international scientific environment
How to apply:
Interested applicants should send their CV, cover letter and the contact of two referees to: firstname.lastname@example.org before 28/02/2019 (Reference: PD-EE).
Principles of the selection process:
IBEC is committed to the principles of the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers of the European Commission and the OTM-R principles. Thus, there are no restrictions of citizenship or gender and candidates with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Who we are?
The Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia, IBEC is an interdisciplinary research center focused on Bioengineering and Nanomedicine based in Barcelona. IBEC is one of the top research institutions named as a Severo Ochoa Research Centre by Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness (in charge of research and innovation policy in Spain), which recognizes excellence at the highest international level in terms of research, training, human resources, outreach and technology transfer.
IBEC’s mission is to develop international high-quality interdisciplinary research that, while creating knowledge, contributes to making a better quality of life, improving health and creating wealth. A close link with key universities, reference hospitals and corporations, are assets that facilitate achieving the mission.
IBEC was established in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Autonomous Government of Catalonia), the University of Barcelona (UB) and the Technical University of Catalonia (UPC).
IBEC is located within the Barcelona Science Park and is managing 3.800 square meters facilities, 21 research groups and a team of researchers and support services of 300 people from 30 different countries. www.ibecbarcelona.eu