Application Deadline: 15/07/2020
The Bioengineering in reproductive health group at the Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia (IBEC) is looking for a Senior Scientist to develop a project in collaboration with the industry.
The project involves investigate the molecular mechanisms affected by specific chemical treatments on endometrial receptivity and on mouse and human embryos in culture. We aim to combine the expertise in microscopy of the lab with embryology tools to understand the morphological and molecular modifications that lead to an increase in endometrial receptivity. An ideal candidate will have experience in the mouse or human embryology field and will know basic tools of molecular biology. The candidate will have a great degree of independence to coordinate the project, competitive salary and funding to outsource several tests (i.e. sequencing, histology etc.).
Our laboratory is a multidisciplinary environment where biologists, biophysicists, clinicians and business developers synergize to create a unique environment shaped by science and entrepreneurship. Due to the high translational component of our research, we have established collaboration contracts with the pharma industry, hospitals and venture capital to bring our technology to the clinics and the market.
In our lab we use bioengineering methods to create 3D environments that support embryonic development outside of the mother uterus. Our systems are accessible to imaging tools which allow us to interrogate the genetics, metabolomics and mechanics of the embryo in a high throughput manner. Using our systems we are capable to (i) improve embryo culture conditions and (ii) diagnose embryos with improved implantation potential.
Main tasks and responsibilities / The successful candidate will develop research involving:
- Mouse embryo collection and culture
- Embryo development assessment and manipulation
- Molecular biology (PCR, cloning, etc)
- Genomic analysis
- Primary cell culture
- Histology and Immunostaining
- Microscopy imaging
Requirements for candidates:
- PhD in Life Sciences, with at least 3 years of postdoctoral experience
- 4 years experience in mouse embryology
- Animal Experimentation Certification
- Experience on mouse embryo culture and manipulation
- Experience working with primary cell cultures or tissues
- Basic level of genetic analysis
- Fluent level of English
- Basic microscopy knowledge
- Competencies and skills: Teamwork, Commitment, Proactivity, high motivation and ability to be involved in a multidisciplinary team
- Working autonomously
- Stimulating, interdisciplinary research environment.
- Number of available positions: 1
- Starting date: July 2020
- Working conditions:
- Full time 2-year contract. Salary will be commensurate with academic level and experience.
- Measures to reconcile work and family life (maternity and paternity leave, flexible schedule working hours, teleworking, 23 working days of paid holidays, 9 leave days for personal matters, among others).
- Professional development opportunities: IBEC has a Training catalogue in technical and transferable skills and organizes seminars and PhD discussions. Mobility grants are offered. Mentoring programme for Postdoctoral researchers.
- Induction programme to facilitate incorporation at IBEC and additional support is provided for foreigners to obtain Visa-working permit and to install in Barcelona.
How to apply:
Interested applicants should send their CV, cover letter and the contact of two referees to: firstname.lastname@example.org before 15/07/2020 (Reference: SR-SO).
Principles of the selection process:
IBEC is committed to the principles of the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers of the European Commission and the Open, Transparent and Merit based Recruitment principles. Thus, there are no restrictions of citizenship or gender and candidates with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
For Postdoctoral and JR GL positions: IBEC aims for a representative gender balance at all levels of staff, so we strongly encourage women to apply. At least 40% of shortlisted applicants invited to interview have to be women with comparable level of CVs as the male candidates.
Who we are?
The Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia, IBEC is an interdisciplinary research center focused on Bioengineering and Nanomedicine based in Barcelona. IBEC is one of the top research institutions named as a Severo Ochoa Research Centre by Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness (in charge of research and innovation policy in Spain), which recognizes excellence at the highest international level in terms of research, training, human resources, outreach and technology transfer.
IBEC’s mission is to develop international high-quality interdisciplinary research that, while creating knowledge, contributes to making a better quality of life, improving health and creating wealth. A close link with key universities, reference hospitals and corporations, are assets that facilitate achieving the mission.
IBEC was established in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Autonomous Government of Catalonia), the University of Barcelona (UB) and the Technical University of Catalonia (UPC).
IBEC is located within the Barcelona Science Park and is managing 3.800 square meters facilities, 21 research groups and a team of researchers and support services of 300 people from 30 different countries. www.ibecbarcelona.eu